Monday, July 04, 2005

~ COLLAPSE

I got a copy of Jared Diamond's new book Collapse. This is the same guy who wrote "Guns, Germs, and Steel". That book was a real eye opener and I'm looking forward to this new one. So far, it's a good read. More proof of the fact that if you give me too much spare time that I'll get myself into trouble.

By the way, I was down with Leete's family yesterday celebrating his birthday. By all reports he is still older than I am. Hehehe. His youngest Ashley, who works for Intl. Paper as some sort of bigshot, showed me the code for an amazing machine which consists of a fully automated milling machine whch can put together an entire bundle of a house's framing plus fully completed roof trusses (no fitting.. fully completed and ready to go in the air), in something like 2 hours and put the whole package on the truck in the order that it should be framed. Amazing. I've seen automated metal milling machines before at my friend Dave Fauver's shop in Sanford, but this monster is an assembly line that is about a mile long. Jeez!

Ashley... you're the Kind!

Bob