Wednesday, May 24, 2006



~THE CODE~

I went to see The DaVinci Code this afternoon. There were a number of positives.
Good movie. Well rendered. True to the book. Beautiful Hans Zimmer music. Astounding visuals. Of course, a lot of people will want to politicize it. At least, that seems to be the preliminary buzz about it, but I don't think that take has legs.


There are two things working here: first of all, a lot of guys (like me I suppose) pass themselves off as failed Catholics and have heard a whole lot about Opus Dei and the Knights Templar and there has always been that undercurrent of feminism for the movie to work through. There is a major component in the Church that is femenicentric. The whole cult of Madonna worship is a big part of Catholicism. That will push all kinds of emotional buttons for any Catholic.

And... who knows. I know that when I visited the Louvre a few years ago my whole mission in life was to see the DaVinci things and see the smiling lady. And, when Katie and I took the boat on a circumnavigation I made a point of stopping in Malta so that I could visit all those piles of rock that were the basecamps of the Knights Templar.

Well worth the seven bucks.

Bob