Tuesday, January 11, 2005

~
HARNESS

One of the things that I've noticed lately is the affect that holidays have on my workload. I just spent about a week and a half doing flat nothing in the worksite, and now I've been back shoveling this drek for a little over a week and I've finally seen some daylight, and I feel that I'm just beginning to break even and am only a week and a half behind. In other words, I'm at the place where I would have been if there had not been a Christmas and New Year. Sigh.

But there are points of interest. My friend Tom Leete was showing off his "Big Christmas" that his girls got him. You know about big Christmas, don't you? Well, for guys, especially the Daddy type guys like Tom and I, mostly what you get for presents are things that you would have bought for yourself anyhow... shirts, ties, new jeans, bla bla bla. But you also get a gift of some kind that you would NOT buy for yourself, and that's your Big Christmas. For Tommy, his present was a XM radio for his truck... the truck I borrowed while my Volvo was in the shop. XM radio... that's Sirius radio's competition. Satellite radio with a couple of hundred channels and absolutely no static that won't fade out on you in the middle of the night while you are driving across Texas. Well, so what, you say. Big whoop. But look, there is a whole channel of nothing but Frank Sinatra. Twenty four hours a day of non stop old blue eyes. And a channel of nothing but audio books. I fell in love with audio books about a year ago. This is great on long trips when you get sick of the same old Oldies on the FM radio and you want to lose yourself in The DaVinci Code. Great stuff!

And... Tom can pull the radio out of the truck and move it to his car if he gets the kit installed in the Mercedes. What I'm thinking is that I could get that satellite radio installed and then move it around from the car to the boat to the plane. Hmmm. Isn't that a delicious thought?

Bob