Saturday, April 02, 2005

~
THE LESSONS

I think most of us are over it now and we're in the last of those Kubler-Ross phases, the one that says that we review things and see if there's anything there to be put on the headstone.

Guy has the last word on his post--

Final observations:

1. Talk to your local, state, and federal legislators. Let them know you would welcome changes in existing law(s) to reflect the continuing of life to be paramount. The rights of the spouse should be respected, BUT all available methods MUST have been used, and documented in determining a persons legal "living status". And failing documentation being on hand to demonstrate a persons specific desire, being to the contrary, hearsay from any source is not to be sanctioned as the determining factor in deciding whether or not to medically allow a person to die. This last part would apply only when there is contention regarding an individuals final choice/wishes. (And getting "feeding tubes" removed as a form of "life support", to be on the same level as a respirator or some such, would be a good thing too.)

2. Like it or not (unless there is a major swing in the national psyche to erring on the side of life) we are perilously close to officially becoming a society which favors the right to die as being paramount. It behooves all of us to go and get a living will or living trust set up, so you have the greatest chance possible in having your wishes honored, in the event you are not able to communicate same.

If we, as conservative/constitutionalists/those who favor choosing life over death as the right and proper action for any healthy society to follow, then we need to follow up on the above. If we do not, then hypocrisy becomes the word of the day.

***********

That just about says it all. I made a living will when I was allowed out of the prison of the Florida Hospital a few years ago and I was inordiately proud of myself at the time. The hassle over the Schaivo woman pointed out to me that I need to review that thing. Giant strides in medicine have made it necessary to spell it all out, and my will doesn't to that good a job (I'm thinking). I mentioned this to my lawyer yesterday and he agreed. (Oh damn... another meeting.) For that... at least.. I thank the Schaivo family.

Bob