Monday, October 24, 2005

~ WILMA PASSING THRU
I'm up early to welcome the storm. Kathryn checked on me last night to make sure that I hadn't been rained on. So far... nothing. Some blustering breeze, but I still figure that I'll go to Golden Corral for breakfast. I know that's not as exciting as the fun they're having in Naples right now, but it's the best that I can do. They've shut down the operations center in Bartow and sent all of us to the field. The idea is that we all use our laptops with the aircards to keep the district covered. Naturally, the first thing that I checked on was whether HomeSafeNet was up... it was, but running so slow that it remined me of the good old days of 300 baud modems. Remember that? Of course not. I used to have a dingus from Radio Shack that you actually stuck a phone receiver into. Eeeee...wonk...wonk...eeeee. And you watched the text crawl across the screen, one letter at a time. Hmmm...I wonder if I still have that junk? Somewhere in a dusty box at the office I suppose. Hopefully, this is as bad as it gets this time. Lord knows... we've had... eight?.... hurricanes hit the beach in the last 2 years. Damn.
Bob